Sunday 18 July 2010

LondON CityZen

A few days back in London and I have just start realising what I have been through and the impact that had on some school children, the teachers and villagers on the remote Himalayan community of Dhawa. Life in a city like London is totally different in every aspect. There are so many people here never understood that a third, or even more, of the world’s population still struggling to secure the basic needs in life (food, water, energy) while we looking to buy the best gadget, the best computer or iPhone. I feel determined to spread the message and try to help those communities further. Although people in such communities are happy and see things positively they still need help and every little support we offer makes a huge difference to them.



Learning Planet is still in Dhawa trying to complete the works. The school is now getting painted and arrangements for satellite communications are well underway. I do admire their efforts and I believe they do great job. I feel very lucky I had he opportunity to partner with them and assist on the solar energy installations. For everyone of you that wants to help further, visit www.learningplanet.org.uk to read about the progress and what comes next. A locally sourced clothing series is getting prepared, really nice clothes which the money goes back to the people who really need it.


Five days in London now, I have already stacked on the underground three times. It is quite difficult to adapt quickly. I believe I need few more days to get back on the city rhythms. Even before my experience in Nepal I couldn’t really adapt to the crazy fast tempo this city dictates. The weather is another issue. It is so frustrating to think that back in Greece the weather is 35oC and here is raining with maximum temperature of 24oC. However this is something I am used to but in the summer months it’s just too much to handle. It is very common the weather to turn bad here just the day I arrive(!). In few weeks I go back home so this will compensate my wait here. I am currently working on an interview, I am delighted to say, that I have been chosen as the Alumnus of the Month for my university in Sweden (KTH) and I am writing some text plus photographs that will be published in August. I will upload the link here…

I feel homesick and I desperately need to see friends and family, have some proper Mediterranean food and relax under the sun or the summer night sky.



Best wishes to all for an amazing -remaining- summertime!





Nektarios~

 
 
London_Stunning Tower Bridge on river Thames

2 comments:

Murmelina said...

Good work Nektarios!
Interesting to read what you have been doing lately. Take care and all the best!!!!
Kram/Louise

NeKtaRioS said...

Thanks for your nice words Louise!

It was an amazing experience, strongly recommended to everyone! :)

I hope you are doing well! I miss Sweden..

Take care yourself

N