Saturday 15 May 2010

Kathmandu live

Hello from Kathmandu!

I am at the nice hotel we’re staying in south Thamel, it’s all dark as the electricity has gone down (again) and only few lights are on in the neighbourhood using generators. In the reception of the hotel there is a bulletin board with the hours and days of when ‘load shedding’ is happening. I heard the electricity operator switches the supply from one neighbourhood to the other throughout the day and week. Kathmandu is one of the very few capitals in the world (if not the only one) not having a constant supply of electricity. Locals don’t seem very bothered and neither do I. When running a business though could be a problem.

Haven’t done much yet, generally I hang around Thamel and enquiring prices from operators for the Tibet tour. I still have time for sightseeing; I will borrow the scooter from the guys and will do most of them in 2-3 days. Generally, I can’t wait to leave Kathmandu for the village. It’s noisy and messy here and I think I need to go up to the great mountains and find serenity there.

I met the guys from Lotus Energy last Friday, the company doing the installations. They were all so nice! All smiles, very cooperative, we had a good meeting and they showed me the purchased equipment (panels, inverter, controller, batteries etc.). At the end they took me for a tea to get known each other better! Very professionals! They even asked me about the greek crisis and I felt discomfort the news travelled even here… We are now planning to transport the equipment to the village on Tuesday. We will load everything on the truck plus some school furniture Learning Planet has arranged and ourselves too. We will cover a distance of 120 kms in 8 hours! The road is very bad especially the last part. We will transport the equipment up to where paved road goes and then for the last 4-5 kms the equipment will be loaded to another truck. This is the village truck and the only driver has driven that road! It is very very dangerous, narrow, in a very bad condition with damages from landslides and with an 60meters gorge on the side most of the distance! In fact, it will take 3-4 hours to do this last part! And we will be on the back of the truck!!

I hope all things and tasks will run well as expected. Of course there is a level of uncertainty however this is making it even more exciting for me! I can’t wait to go and see the school we have been working for so long and the local villagers there. My room at the head teacher’s mud house is waiting for me!


Keep in touch!




The key to my own space in KTM




Load shedding engineering




Hotel rooftop




Tunes I listened while I was writing this post ;)

No comments: